Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Northern Mountains: Day One

Now Playing: "Mountain Sound" by Of Monsters and Men

The mountain region to the north of Chiang Mai is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Marco (my German counterpart) and I rode from Chiang Mai with two other travelers about an hour outside of the city and into the hills, beginning an overnight trip in the rural regions. Our journey began with a hike, where we met our guide, Paa. We appeared to get the only guide with a machete, which seemed like a good thing. Paa was also the only guide with a pet squirrel attached to a chain around his neck, which was an even better thing.

Paa showed us through the trails, picking berries and leaves and offering them to us to smell or eat. It was at this point that it began to strike me the almost insane level of trust I had been placing in the Thai people I relied on during my trip. Here was a man whose only qualification was the fact that he was standing outside the Jeep door when I got outside. Yet we put our lives in his hands and trekked onward through the hills.

The hike ended at a waterfall and Marco, the two British travelers and I swam and cooled off before hiking back.


From there, we rafted down a river to our home for the night, a resort-like series of huts built into the side of a hill along the river bank. We were surrounded by green mountains, tropical foliage, and silence, save the calling of birds and the occasional motorbike passing down the road.

I walked through the town that evening, seeing what I could of the small villages and homes, and waving to the people who lived there. The town reminded me of some of the small lake towns in New Hampshire only with bigger bugs, hotter sun, and many, many more Thai people. Also more motorbikes. And much better-smelling foods. Now that I think about it, the two places aren't that similar at all, outside of the fact that they have dirt roads and lots of trees. Here's a picture, judge for yourself.


Our two British friends left that evening, but Marco and I stayed at camp overnight, enjoying a huge meal of stews, rice, and soups with Paa and spending the rest of the night drinking Thai moonshine and eating dragonfruit in a circle with the other guides.

The following night (today) was one of my favorites of the trip so far and I can't wait to write about it. Hint: it involves elephants.

Tomorrow is my last night in Chiang Mai, and I hope to revisit the night bazaar and find a quality Chiang Mai restaurant for dinner before flying back to Bangkok tomorrow to meet with two friends from home. Things remain exciting. Confusing and sometimes overwhelming, but never boring. Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment