Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Music of the Trip

Fair warning: This post is almost entirely for my own benefit and I doubt very many people will find it interesting.

I spend almost every waking moment listening to music and as a direct result, I tend to tie a lot of major events and periods of my life to specific songs and albums. I knew that this trip was going to be one of the most life-changing two months I had ever experienced going in, so it took me about five hours to select the songs I was going to take with me. I holed up in a Starbucks in Richmond, ordered two coffees and plugged in, poring through hundreds of gigs of music to make sure I had every song I could possibly need.

(Side note: For some strange reason, I totally missed "Holiday in Cambodia" by Dead Kennedys)

In the end, I crafted a masterpiece, a blend of favorites, new stuff, and albums I simply couldn't live without for any period of my life. What surprised me over the past two weeks are the songs that have stuck and will forever be tied to specific moments on this journey. Here are a few of them, again, entirely for my own benefit.

"Communist Daughter" by Neutral Milk Hotel


A stunningly beautiful song from one of my favorite albums, but far from my favorite song by the group. For some reason, this has been one of the crucial songs of Thailand, but for a very different reason. It pops up in times of extreme stress and anxiety. When a bout of homesickness settles in, or a lightning bolt of fear strikes in a crowded airport or street, this song puts me at ease. I use it like a drug, popping in my earbuds and letting the subtle, soft guitar calm every nerve as I blend into the chaos around me. I wish there was a better mantra for my anxiety than the refrain "semen stains the mountaintops" but for some reason, I find it soothing.

"Diane Young" by Vampire Weekend


The only reason this song (and album) made it on the list was because the group dropped it a few days before I left. This has become my song of transition. It played on repeat for most of my flight to Asia and has since been the soundtrack to long walks through airport terminals or train stations.

"In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel


Another song from the same album, but I have no regrets. It's one of the best albums ever made and this has been my song of bliss and beauty. "And one day we will die and our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea, but tonight we are young, let us lie in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see" has popped into my head in the bays of Koh Phi Phi, the hills of Chiang Mai, and most recently the Mekong River of Phnom Penh.

So there you have it. If you made it this far, at least listen to the songs and relax for a while. They're all beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Of course you knew that I'd be on the same page as you with regard to some of these music choices. I know for me, music is so inextricably tied to experiences and memories; it helps me to overcome my fears, soothes my stresses, elevates my own levels of happiness. I'm glad to hear (although not surprised) that these songs are grounding you during this amazing trip. I've been avidly reading the posts and while insane jealousy takes over pretty much every time I sit down to read what you've written, I'm thrilled that you're having such a wonderful, life-changing experience. I can't wait to read what comes next!

    Side note: Diane Young is actually one of my lesser favorites on the new VW album. You MUST listen to Hannah Hunt when you get back to the States. I've been playing that on repeat ever since the album was released.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Demian, it's been a long time. I happened upon your page when I overheard your name in a conversation and wondered what happened to you over the years. As luck would have it, I found your blog and have enjoyed reading about your adventures in Vietnam. Anyway, I know that it's been years and you will probably never read this comment thread, but I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete